Thursday, June 13, 2013

"Scenes from Kinshasa"



Spaghetti Junction -two lanes
going both ways. Yea, RIGHT!
No lights or cops- just almost
bumper cars!
They say there is no way to describe Kinshasa. One must experience it. That is so true - there is no other place like it that I have been to for sure. I was up at "Shutshihutshi" and could not go back to sleep. So my mind wandered and then my mind wondered. Read my copy of Jesus Calling this morning and He did it again. He talked to me on the topic I needed for the day. (It's hard to get "nailed" as a Type A personality- but He manages quite often in this little Devotional book. ;) Of course, I'm quite a case!! Hope I am not the only person He nails so often!

Wednesday was grocery store day. We made it. Inga went with us- since it was our first time- but we did it all. Lot of math and money differences. Weird -by my way of thinking- is how they post the prices. Every item has a letter and a code infront of it on the shelf. Then at the end of every row or so is a xerox copy of all the letter and number combinations with the prices beside it. It takes for EVER - especially if the list is missing and you have to go to another aisle. Then back to figure out if you have enough money to be able to buy it(on the preset budget I am given) or have to decrease the number you are going to get or chance the next store. We went to five stores yesterday looking for toilet brushes! TOILET BRUSHES!! Didn't find what they wanted. The other lady in my office- accountant- Helene went to the "Native" market today and found some that will work. It took two stores to find Coka Lite, in a can, that was affordable.They averaged- hey- listen to that math word!!- $1.60 a can. But American guests like them so we keep them in stock.The other drink is Fanta Orange that goes over well. ( For all the bottled drinks we send the sentry across the street to the bar for pop in bottles.) With traffic and dodging people it took us five hours to get jelly, macaroni, apples, salt, paper napkins,carrots, canned mushrooms, a kilo round of Gouda cheese, Coka lite, liquid dish washing stuff, and bread- oh  and look for toilet brushes. Believe me, and I love to shop, but in a foreign language and currency -this is very tiring!Then to a very good Chinese restaurant for lunch (Pepper Beef, Sweet and Sour Pork and Curried Chicken) and home.

Last night we were invited with Jimmy Shafe's Congo group to go out to a Pizza sort of place - O Poeta- not too far from MPH. (Huge outdoor pizza oven and they also deliver- on Motorcycles!!) Some had pizza others had seafood, steaks, burgers and soup. Had water, beer, tonic water, soda water, pop and wine as drink options. All options were consumed. ;) What a difference 50 years makes!



My office. African cloth work on
wall. AC up high on wall.
Helene's desk past mine.
Today in the office- "Working Nine to Five"! Whew!!! I was all alone today since Helene was at Native Market. So I was tempted to lock the door and not answer the phone. But I didn't. ;) I just told them all I was new, hadn't spoken French for fifty years and since I couldn't  figure out how to tell them to "put your Patient Panties on", I just asked them to speak very slowly and be patient. Both on the phone and in person they were wonderful. My poor brain comes out with some Spanish, French, Tshiluba and English. When that happens I see those pretty smiles I remember. Got reservations done, scheduled two conferences, answered emails, dealt with questions from the cooks and house boys, got supplies that are kept under lock and key and collected money from the guests here at MPH. Collected over $3,000 today-American money all! Crisp $100 bills. Amazes me! Almost have enough to go grocery shopping next week! ;) Oh! Forgot!Yesterday I had been given a "yucky"-apparently- $100. Tried it at three stores"No, Madame,we not take this." At the last store she called the manager, he ran it through some machine deal and they took it. I am also seeing $1.00 bills and I had been told they would not take them. I finally feel that I am caught up and comfortable enough to begin to take the siesta after Lunch.


 
Street sweeper on 30 Juin Boulevard in Kinshasa. They try to keep this place clean - on the main streets but is dry season. Guys with a broom and some sort of uniform. They sweep and rest and then sweep a little more and then visit and then rest again.




Golf Course in downtown Kinshasa. Have not idea of what it costs. I hear $180-400.



Apartment building. Fresh fruit lady. Guy with umbrella is selling cokes .








Building under construction. Paper for sale. Phone centers under
                                               the umbrellas. An amazing place to drive around. Modern yet not.

 
 Potatoes on the way to the grocery
stores and outdoor markets. The cars will
all but hit him as they try to weave in and
out.

Well guys, I am off to bed. It's time for the 9 o'clock evening news only we have no TV nor networks. Can't fall asleep listening to the news like we do in the US.  Ken listenens to BBC during the night on his little radio. Did any of you watch the CNN deal with Anthony Bordaine Sunday on Congo? Guess after these pictures you wonder where I am! Sort of modern and sort of sad! Tiger, the orange cat, has caught something and wants to give it to Ken and me. NOT! Going to give her time to finish it and then let her in for the night. Finally saw the other cat. Bella and Ken are sort of checking each other out. Ken was asleep in the chair and she was hiding behind the curtain and they scared each other! He said it was funny. 

Next time I will try to show you around MPH. Take care. Me
















 

1 comment:

  1. Lenore, this is all fascinating and obviously right up your alley! Thanks for the email -- which reminded me to read the blog -- and we'll be reading the blog more regularly now. Nelle is ok, but only stayed in Montreat a few days last week. Hope she'll go back soon. sheila

    ReplyDelete