Thursday, July 11, 2013

" The Beat Goes On... and ON ....and ON!" Sonny and Cher-

Well,  the Beat that goes ON...  or as Paul Harvey says- "The rest of the story". This is sort of a catch you up on stories and people about whom I have been writing.

First-  remember the Tall Congolese Man I was to look for- for Walt Shepard- between the French and English church services? Well, here is the rest of that story. Ken was in the apartment and I was at my desk when the sentry came to tell me that Ken and I had a visitor. Weird. We don't know anyone here! It was Martin Ndombe. He said he had tried to call but I could not hear him with the connection. So he decided it was God telling him to come see us. So I got Ken and we sat in the living area to visit. When I had given him the Money for the Leprosy Mission and then headed to church he did not have time to tell us all. He was bothered by that and wanted us to know all. A year or so ago he left that job and worked on one with the Health organization here to work with the people with Tropical diseases still here but under control or "gone" but still hold a stigma. So he could not keep the money. So he traveled all the way to the Leprosy Camp and gave them the money. They were amazed he did that. You still work with the lepers you could have kept the money they told him. "No, Mama said it was specific." So he got a receipt for me to mail Walter! WOW! As we continued to talk he tells us the rest of his story. He has  now lost his next job because he is not trained to deal with human right issues in the area of the Tropical Diseases. The next one he got was a job where there were grants. Last Grant ran out the first of June. His wife still works with Leprosy Group  but he no longer has a job. At that story's finish, I told Ken I was going to the apartment to get an envelope. He knew what I meant. As I return I found out that the Ndombes have five children. One son is in Arkansas at Central Ark and graduates in December. He and his wife hope to go but visas are very hard to come by. But if they get those and can't afford for both to go he will send her since he has traveled before and she hasn't. Then he shows us pictures of his family and ALL are tall. (Of course to Ken and me a lot of folks are tall!) A daughter is in Med School here in Kinshasa, a son is in Computers here at college too. Then there are two more at home and they are also college bound. Amazing. He is looking for a job. Not returning to General practice- as he has been out too long. So he said" When God closes a door He will open a Window." (Guess he saw "Sound of Music" too!  ;)  ) So then I told him the rest of my story. About teasing Walt to answer me about what to do with the Money from the garage sale. That some was for the Leprosy Mission and at the last communication Walt told me to give it all to just him to use as he wanted. At that I handed him the envelope of money he burst into tears. "God is good," he said.  An emotional few minutes! We visited some more and then he asked to pray with us and off he went into the city. And the Beat goes ON!

Think I told you that some German Freres were here at MPH. Protestant Brothers. Well, they were to go by bus to Vanga- a very long trip and the last part - 50 k- possibly by foot. They had been given 500 vials of insulin. They wanted to leave early the next morning. So they left it in the car over night." It will be cool enough tonight." ( 73 degrees)  Maybe- but how about for the next two days as you travel in an open air bus..... So no telling if the viles arrived unbroken or are even usable when the doctor sees it and the conditions it has been in.  It is Congo. And the Beat goes ON!

Ken had an exciting day on Monday. He rode with Inge for her to get a blood test. She did not feel like driving home so he did. Standard little Crew cab, through Spaghetti Junction, and home! He was so proud!  Then he had to go back and get some stuff. He took Michael with him. Waved at the cops and acted like he had a license. Don't think he even remembered to take his paper copy of his passport with him!  So back through Spaghetti Junction  (No, Not "Petticoat Junction!!"- or at least I hope not! ) Just get a little Road Rage in your gut, make no eye contact, try not to get too close and let her rip! Guess he's ready for the final lap in a NASCAR. And the Beat goes ON!

Well, I was asked to figure out a way to help the cleaning guys remember to do each thing when they are cleaning. I'd made a picture list. Inge wanted more of a check list. So gave them that on Monday. The looks on their faces was incredulous. It was all in French and was a check list with the rooms listed. I showed it to them and read and explained each item to them. They knew what I wanted.
"But Mama, we are doing most of that." So I said let's add the parts you weren't doing to the "great"  jobs you are doing and then all will be happy.("A spoon full of sugar and flattery- even if not totally true- helps the medicine go down") But they can not read - one of them at all. ( I had asked him to put the books all over the coffee tables and in the rooms all back in the library. He did and they were every which way but loose!). So will discuss it with Inge and maybe go back to pictures. I just do as asked. One thing that I have gotten done is to get Baba ("It is his job, Mama, not mine.") to clean all of the ceiling fans. They had major Dust Bunnies - could be Bunnies in Flight...depending on the speed of the fan- on them and are now as clean as Baba ,soap and water can get them. Have five rooms- currently occupied to get done by Monday PM. And then that is done! And the Beat goes ON!

 Yesterday I visited with the butcher at the meat market to see if I could actually get a chicken fry steaks here." Chicken" he asks so I have to explain it is beef fried like chicken.. Most confusing. But he says he will do what ever I want done with the meat!! Cute.Everyone now recognizes us as we arrive at the stores and that is fun.

After groceries yesterday I took Ken to the place we ate on Girls Day Out. Here folks prefer mayonnaise, pelepele or mustard for French fries. But they do  have Ketchup with or without Pelepele upon request. As we left a LTC in his American Uniform and a UN blue beret was arriving. He had a Big Red 1 on his shoulder so of course Ken stopped him to chat. The Big Red 1 is out of Manhattan, Ka and is the group Clint was prefaced with while he was in Iraq. Turns out this young man and Clint were in Ramadi at the same time. Small world after all. Also while there for lunch another young American spoke to us. Well, turns out he was in church our first Sunday when we introduced ourselves, had just seen us at Central Market, and was there for lunch. He is from North Carolina, former Army and is here training the DRC army in physical fitness. At one of the stores yesterday I was just going in to see if they had that "cotton pickin" (for those of you who know me- how do you like that language clean up for the blog??) Baking Powder the cook wanted.  I had told him when I found it he would have to give me a kiss. He all but blushed! Anyway, while I was there Ken and the Chauffeur visited. Also with us looking for some stuff was a young man staying here at MPH.  IMA needs to get a Cross over type truck/carryall up to Kananga. So they are going to get Antonio Martinez- from Texas via Myers Park Presbyterian Church in Charlotte,NC. to go with it up country with a chauffeur. Had not  been able to find a chauffeur that knew the way for those 1000 miles. So as Antonio and I are inside Ken and Emanuel visit. Turns out Emanuel is from there and knows the roads. So he called IMA and it looks like he will drive Antonio up to Kananga. Will maybe take up to a week. So if this all plays out I have lost my chauffeur. But he promises me his son Francie can drive me each week to all the places I want to go! GOT to get a haircut sometime soon  I tell Emanuel and  he says  Francie knows where to take us! Shaggy Dog is a good visual for both of us!  And the Beat goes ON!

Antonio Martinez is about 30. Got his degree with the GI Bill from NC State in Architecture. He wants to be his own boss. He wants to work in third world countries- especially Africa- and has ended up here. He will be doing two jobs. One for Myers Park Presbyterian redoing an old hotel turned clinic - up dating the clinic. Then with IMA he will build various sized clinics  with solar power- out in the bush for doctors to work in when they graduate. When he arrived he had a duffel bad and a box inside of one of those huge IKEA bags taped with Duct tape. " This is all I own in the world. Even gave my two boxers away."(dogs- not underwear!)  He probably has a steep learning curve ahead but didn't we all when we started out! And the Beat goes ON!

Ken and the cats! It is fun and funny to watch. He is in the apartment more than I, so they are great pals. Bella scares Ken to death several times a day!  He sits in a chair in the corner. It is the chair Bella likes to jump up on to look out of the window. Both cats talk to Ken and he answers them as if he understood them. Tiger still wants to bring her kill into the apartment to share with Bella so  we have to chase her away until she has finished eating whatever it is/ was! And the Beat goes ON!

The next six weeks will test my metal.  My Patient panties will be in high demand! Eleven big groups of 6 or more the largest being a little over 20. One group has teenagers and their sponsors wanted to avoid moving enough to agree to have three in a room by adding a mattress- sort of built for two- and then they will have to go to tents because another group had the rooms already confirmed for the second week they wanted to stay. So hope they know what they agreed to in a tropical country- on the floor or in tents either in the dorm hall or out back on the soccer field, no mosquito nets for everyone and dorm baths not built for 20+. I guess those in the most shock will be other adults on the dorm floor. And the Beat goes ON!


Popular comic book by a Belgian cartoonist.Tintin and his dog, Snowy, are sent to Congo to report on events. They encounter Congolese, wild animals and unearth a diamond smuggling ring of  run by Al Capone. At it's original publishing in the 1940's, "Politically Correct" did not exist. ( Hint- Look closely at the picture those of you who did not grow up with these comics! )But it is dearly loved here and reprints are all over. Ken and Marcia read them here as kids. I can't remeber doing so. Just Lorna Doone and Jane Eyre! There is even a restaurant on the beach of the Congo River called Tintin. Plans are to go there while we are here. And the beat goes ON!

Trip to the Falls off for at least a week. Have a great weekend.
Love YA! ME











 


No comments:

Post a Comment