Friday, July 12, 2013

For Callie, Sidney, Kara and Emery- Our Special Girls!!


Gigi, remember the stories you always tell us in the car?  Tell us a story, we miss them.
I’m way over here in Congo!  What story do you want?  Tell us about Texas!  Again?  Please! Ok!

Texas- Well, let me tell you so you will know why this land is now so special to me.

I love Texas because that is where Pops is!!

I was not born here but “I got here as fast as I could!”

I love that in Texas, where there are three flag poles of equal height, TWO are almost always the Texas flag, one is the USA flag and all three can be flown at equal height!

I love that all in one day you can be drinking lemonade in the heat and within a few minutes be making real snow ice cream!

I love that I can take you girls to Whataburger, order us Whataburgers, fries and drinks and write a check!

I love that distances and measured in minutes and hours not miles. I am only 4-4 ½ hours from my girls!

I love that “backards and forards” means I know all about you!

I love that our highway signs to keep our state clean say ”Don’t Mess with Texas!”

I love that our drinks are called COKE no matter the brand or flavor not pop or soda!

I love, though unfortunately, that we don’t necessarily associate a bridge with water or rivers.

I love the people of Texas. There’s: Howdy”, a wave from the steering wheel on the highway, always a smile and an opened door for a lady!

I love that we can often get hot water from both spigots!

I love how I can make instant sun tea!
I love that we have towns and counties larger than some states!
I love Texas words like “fixinto” and “jeet?” (did you eat?)
I love that Whole Foods Fresh Produce section sells cactus!
I love that sexy lingerie is boxers and a T shirt.
I  am sorry that my youngest granddaughters don’t really know what it is to play in the rain for days in a row!
I love that “Tornado Warning” means go out in the yard and look at the sky!
I love that some choirs are called the Ok Chorale!
I love big cars, big hair and big servings!
I love that we do indeed “Remember The Alamo!”
I love grassy road banks and Interstate medians covered with bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes in the spring.
So to tell you a story of Texas—
It’s a story of the land and of the people. People who are unified in thought and deed.
It is a place one never forgets.
It is a frame of mind.
Texas has a cord that binds us no matter where we are!
Texas is a spirit.
Texas has its own language, its own fashion, its own… everything!
Soooo….when you ask me to tell you a story of Texas….
It is you and me!
It is family!
We are Texas!!


I LOVE you girls and miss you!

Love Gigi

1 comment:

  1. Uh Oh! I think GiGi is homesick. I know your girls are missing you and will love this post. I did! And as a native Texan I can say authoritatively - it's all absolutely true! Here's another Texas word (or maybe it's an Arkansas word) "dreckly". It means "in a minute". As in "I'm fixin to do that dreckly."
    Love, Betty

    ReplyDelete