Monday, August 12, 2013

34. Animal Kingdom at MPH



Well, apparently the cats caught something in the apartment and did not eat it all and it is decaying. (I have always stopped Tiger before she can get in with anything she has caught to share with Bella. So, it has to be an inside kill.) Have been dealing with the smell for three days so far. BAD!! We have moved everything in the Living area- where strongest smell is- and tool storage room looking for a dead body of something. No luck.  At least the bedroom is fine!
Fish Heads just 'a cookin'
Today began a week of conferences. My luck did not hold for Fish Heads to be served Wednesday for lunch while we are out Grocery shopping! It’s today- I hope the ONLY day! The smell of 60 frying fish heads has smelled up the whole of MPH. So now we have “parfume de carrion et tete de poison” (Perfume of Carcass and Fish Head) in the apartment. Really BAD!!

It is SO Congo! Conference for 8:30 AM sort of began at 10-because that is when 3 of 30 people showed up. The bell rang for requested 10:30 coffee break and no one came. They just asked – at 11+ish - if lunch can now be delayed until 1:30 or two. I told them no because it would ruin the food. So Papa put away the coffee break (and told the Conference they would have to pay for it) and they will still have lunch at the scheduled 12:00. Maybe they will get here on time the next two days. Probably not! ;) So hopefully Papa does not plan left over Fish Heads for supper!! ;) But guess what. ‘”To ask is not to steal.”… Is alive and well. They just didn’t come down till 1:30 and ate it cold!  Only 13 of 30 showed. Cold Fish Heads! Oh Well!
Lake Fwa
Lake Fwa! I remember the beauty of that Caribbean colored clear, clear water. My parents never let us swim in it because of “liver flukes.” But I wonder if it was really a story to keep people out of the area because of the diamonds? Did any of y’all swim there? (With or without parental permission?)

Remember going Crocodile hunting?  I was lucky enough to be taken by my Dad when I was a teenager and old enough to “enjoy “it and remember it! We left after dark with professional Croc hunters in a big flat boat with no real sides except up in the bow. (Uncle Johnny Davis and his boys use to go to on their own canoe rigged thing!) One man had a big gun, another a harpoon, several other hunters with guns and one who drove the boat. All of the men had lights mounted to their heads and kept scanning the banks looking for Croc eyes reflecting in the light. It blinds the croc for a few seconds. So once one was spotted it was all very fast precision. The driver had to get there, the gun man and the harpooner had to almost fire at the exact same moment so they got the crock before it dove for the bottom and they lost the skin! Then it was pulled on board and its head was smashed in. Meanwhile it is being tied up but it is not going quietly or peacefully. Its tail is very powerful so Dad and I had to be careful to avoid it in the dark. Even after being smashed in the head it resisted death. The jungle was alive with night noises and reaction to our boat motor and lights. Monkeys were giving the loudest warnings. It was years ago but I can still hear the noises and feel the adrenalin rush as we approached those eyes in the pitch dark of the river!
CS’ers- Do you still have your Congo History book that we all wrote in the 7th grade? I have mine and my older grand-girls were amazed we had to actually write our own book to study about Congo! I remember buying the chocolate bars-with or without nuts- at Juke Joint that had the pictures or people, places, animals, musical instruments etc inside. Opening it and getting a picture I needed or a duplicate for trading was always fun. We all needed them for our books. Remember trading pictures? Remember using stamps as pictures too? Cutting up old Life magazines and National Geographic? Unfortunately many the countries I learned have changed their names. My Aunt Nelle Fraser has a wooden map puzzle of Africa in her Montreat home. When I took the grand girls to see her, she dumped it out and asked the girls to put it all together again. They were shocked. “Help us Gigi!”  “I don’t know their new names,” I told them and that they were on their own. ;) They got it done! (Thank goodness!!)

African Gray Parrots- they are all over here! We hear them in the evenings as they fly in to settle for the night. We see them in and out of cages as we go to different places here in town. Their eyes look so sad in the cages. I had one as a pet at Lubondai. It could say “HELP!!” in Tshiluba, French and English. It loved to climb out to the middle of the clothes line and yell for help until someone got tired of the noise and put him back on the ground! We got him from someone- I can’t remember who. Mom would have killed us if we had taught him that trick! ;)
Earlier I was busy at my desk getting budget ready. Feel something on my foot (I am in flip flops). Mind flashes. It is cold and slimy.  Heart speeds up! I slowly look down and it is one of those rear two footed mini snake deals- about the length of a dollar. I don’t scream on anything. Just sit there and ask Helene to come over to my desk. “Right now!” She comes over and goes wild! Screams for the sentry and he and two cooks come running. I am still sitting there with this thing on my foot. I remember Michael showing me a big one and that telling me that they aren’t usually poisonous. So I scoot him off with my pencil. She screams and the guys all laugh. N’zila carries him off in a dust pan.

So that is the end of this week’s Animal Kingdom! Have a great week!

Love Ya! Me



No comments:

Post a Comment