Thursday, September 19, 2013

50.FYI- Time You Enjoy Wasting Is Not Waisted Time. ;) And The Beat Goes on



 Ken was tired of poetry. So, I will share the other one later! ;))
In comes the cook after knocking on the open door’s door frame (they all do that here!), “Mama Lenore, can you write on your computer some recipes we can’t read anymore?” So I told him sure- to bring the old ones to me. Holy Smoke! They look like they went through”The Battle of the Alamo!” Crumbling brown parchment paper in brown ink. All water damaged, missing visible ingredient amounts and of course in French. They have the recipes memorized so could tell me the missing amounts! So I have been working on that part of the morning.
I was also asked since I can read, would I get all the books left all over the tables in the library back on the shelves. I agreed to find places for them on the shelves but that I was NOT going to try to categorize them all since it’s a “by Category” wreck in there anyway. Hotter than- well, it was hot in there! With “folks who can’t read” removing the books and dusting and then putting them all back on any shelf- it is a topsy, tervy, willy, nilly library world. My Librarian friend, Nancy Holihan, would either have a ball getting it all correct- until the next dusting ;)))- or she would take a look and run! (I advise the latter!!) Some of the books - were sent from US in the 1930-50’s and from CS to Kinshasa in the 1960’s- and some are so old that I think the Apostle Paul used them in class or as a Concordance resource to write his Letters to everyone! Only the Paperbacks seem to be borrowed. I saw Baldacci, Patterson and Clancy and three Dr. Seuss. Oh- there was War Dogs of Space or some such thing! Eclectic tastes missionaries have! ;)

It is amazing what guests in the middle of a third world country and staying at a hostel allow me to experience! If the public restroom is out of toilet paper-please, oh please tell me!  The other solutions chosen have not been pleasant. (Kinshasa trivia- Little Kleenex packets are sold all over the city and at every red light and corner and only cost 20 cents. Almost all 11 million people in this city have a package or two in their possession. Amazing!)
Out back by the Sthreshley’s house -it is septic holding tank digging time. It is a huge hole and at least 15 feet deep. (This deep so Inge can plant on top of it.) All done by hand by two gardeners with a shovel each. Don’t know how the two of them got out!! Nice sandy soil. The field- also dug by hand – oops- they did 90 degree turns so they had to re-dig and fill in some. No roof yet – on the house not the septic tank- but it is in the near future. (I know you English teachers have gone nuts with my run on “everythings” in my blogs! But the end is near!). The roof must be on before major rainy season really hits! Have one window in because after roof is on it can’t be gotten in. OH! The roof began today. A pretty green. It really is a nice floor plan!

I have been overseeing the cleaning of the Kitchen cupboards and more of the walls today. Hummmmm. There are some kitchen tools in there- way in the back of drawers- that I have never seen before- even in Bonka’s kitchens or antique stores! Showed them the trick of rubbing a bar of soap on the drawer slides to make these old thing work a little better until they re-do the kitchen. They found that amazing! And it worked. The new house/kitchen guy is working out great. He is a Type A so far!! Clean Freak- for living here! Also the new cook in charge of all food etc. is also working out very well!! Tuesday is verifying the items in and used the last week and it went great! Had been taking 2 + hours and we got it down to 1:15 today by getting Nzila organized yesterday before he left for the day. Yea!
Guest just asked that if I’d let her use the microwave in the kitchen to cook some popcorn she’d share! OHHHHH it was so good and smelled so good!  Oh, the little things!! I am still waiting for real Texas Mexican food and a good brisket and the fixings. Wonder how long I’ll have to eat it before I am tired of it? Never!!  Also a Pappadeaux fix in Ft Worth!

Ok. I’ll finally answer the Question from several “inquiring minds that want to know,” Why did you feel the “call” to this mission this summer?  Let me see…  Excuse my French but- Hell, the phone rang and I answered the call… No?  OK!... Well…my bet is that if you asked Ken and me the question in two different rooms you’d get two sort of different answers and yet not. So since I am writing the blog, I get to tell it my way. For years Ken has said he wanted to come back. I wasn’t that determined. I really wanted to remember Congo the way I remember it. I also refused my Mother’s –almost-order to see my brother, Manford, in his casket! (So, I remember him happy at our son Clint’s wedding six monthe earlier with his daughter, Brianna. She is soon to be a mother and make me a Great Aunt!!) Many of you have described some of the almost deserted and destroyed stations and I really don’t want or need to see Lubondai like that. I just love my memories- in case you have not figured that out!  BUT, I love my Ken more!  I know it will be different- especially up country- what isn’t after 50+ years. (I surely am!!) But I still see it 1960.
What I was determined about on a Congo trip was that with some of his health issues, Ken was not going to come without me. He says he honestly didn’t think I could handle the heat and really roughing it here (though MPH is far from roughing it! AC and Wifii) or up in the bush. As the mother of two boys it was always join in or get left behind. Do I prefer the Hyatt (or the North's home in Paradise) over Motel 6 or the Red Roof Inn? Well, Duh!! But, can I do WHATEVER I put my mind to? You are darn tootin’! Just need Patient Panties!

 Ken’s sister, Marcia wrote him last spring and said that Cindy and Clay Dunn, the managers here at MPH, needed a break and would we be interested in coming out and covering for them for “a month or so.” Knowing- he thought- that I would say no -he forwarded the email to me. I figured this would get us out here for a month or so, we could go see Marcia and her new home here, he could check his Bucket list and we could be home by fall football. As things progressed we were asked if we could “stay a little longer.” The definition of that word ended up being 4 months or so and then still go see Marcia. So here we are. Folks are treating it as if we are missionaries – no, just we are volunteer substitutes - so I guess “We is it!” I told you God has a sense of HUMOR!! Lenore a missionary! That’s an Oxymoron!
We are just running MPH for a few months and having fun and sort of doing a service in the process. We have been meeting folks and getting to speak Tshiluba all over this city and to poor unsuspecting folks who happen to walk into my office and get asked, “Do you speak Tshiluba?”  Are we doing a mission-  welI, guess so. I just see a very happy Ken and that is my Bucket list checked off.  FYI- one of you wrote and shared your Congo story with Ken and me personally. Ken wrote you back personally – a most unusual thing-and sent me a copy. As I read his note to you, we could have stayed in the same room and answered the question and it would have been the same! ;)) Don’t you agree?? WOW!! Guess 45+ years of marriage does that to folks! Love ya, Ken!  Hope that answered your questions on why we did this.

It looks like we will go to Lubondai while we are up country visiting Marcia- Ken says he won’t go without me. So I will go. I will let you know through my eyes, words and memories what I see.  But now that I know I am going to go, I am again thinking of the people – not the things that have changed. So I will be fine- I’ll go to Ntolo’s village and see the people -of the people- of my past. So Brother, Les, I guess I will get you those pictures of the station where you were born.  Marcia even mentioned our going to Lake Munkamba. That will be fine. I don’t have strong memories of it like I do my home at Lubondai. All of this depends on the roads in rainy season!
My email is murray.lenore@yahoo.com  .Sorry, I guess I haven’t put it out there. I also do Facebook- especially while I am out here. When I get home I will probably take a break or just turn it off. I haven’t done Congo Connection because Ken does that and shares. I have been working on a Honey Do List for when we get home and like my friend Coco says, “I’d better get to it!”

WELL!!! Wednesday Inge went with us to grocery shop. We were on the search for a rumored wholesale food place. When mentioned to the Chauffeur, Emanuel, he told us it was not a good area of town for us to be. But we decided to go anyway. Figuring it could not be much worse than another place we had tried. Boy, were we wrong! We wound our way into an area at least one street over from Commerce. It was like the tiny, skinny alley ways of the movie pictures of areas in India or the Casaba in Morocco. Only we were in the MPH van. It should have been a one way street but no one told the cars and big delivery truck drivers, the push-push guys or the people. Plus, we were all only going one way, right?? Size is might on who is the lead dog! It made Spaghetti Junction look deserted by comparison. The roads did not have pot holes. They had craters in them, garbage all over the place, filth!!!, food vendors, people selling everything from used wedding dresses and sets of bridesmaid’s dresses- that looked so “tired” hanging on sticks, enough plastic furniture to outfit a small island, smoked fish, people urinating and others sleeping on the streets, women in Congolese dress and others that looked like “ladies of the night”- only it was daytime, kitchen ware, baby clothes, fresh produce and beggars knocking on the windows. With all the drivers trying to go all over the place as usual it was nerve wracking!! People were pressed up against our car to keep from getting hit by cars whose drivers got frustrated and tried the smallest of areas to jump ahead in this snarled mess! We were told to go a wrong way and had to back up. Then we had to turn around in this mess and go the other way, only to find out we had missed it! Prices were good- especially if you buy for three months at a time. But I have decided the better part of valor for me is to “let Cindy do it” when she gets back.  ;)) We’d never do it without Inge!!!! While Inge and I were in the store writing down prices, Emanuel went to check the traffic for getting out of the area. He locked Ken in the car and told him not to get out no matter what!! So, technically we were not scared but we were delighted to get back into the “usual bad” Kinshasa traffic. My highlight was to go to my regular stores and see “my Peeps!” When we got to Hassan Frere’s, Allene was so glad we were there. “We close at 15:30 until Sunday for the high Jewish Holidays. “But Mama, you have my number and call me if you have an emergency and I will let you in the back door and take care of you!” Sweet!! The OLD policeman was back out front and we fussed at him for not being there last week. “You noticed, Papa?” These are the things we will miss- the delightful people and “friendships” we have made all over this town. When we arrived at the restaurant for lunch the Tshiluba speakers we had met two weeks ago came to greet us! One told Inge that Ken spoke the “Tshiluba of his parents” and he was honored by our meeting the last time we were there!
Today, as we did this excursion, I noticed something different from growing up here. The handicapped are now visible. Bicycles have been modified to be hand turners or otherwise modified. (As I understand it – “ordered” by a former President’s wife) People help the handicapped. Handicapped folks get free ferry rides back and forth across the Congo River for trade purposes and don’t pay taxes. They are allowed to have two “Helpers” to also go free. So now folks are willing to help! The almighty dollar!

Tonight I have been asked to help cook. Request for Spoon bread and squash patties again. I was tired after grocery shopping yesterday, inventorying it all in and then packaging all of the raw meat. But today they brought out the Food Saver and began to use that!! YEA!! Don’t know where they will get more rolls of Food Saver stuff.
My new guy cleaned on the whole kitchen all day and did it with pride and of course I bragged on him!! He cleaned a fan that must have had grease on it from when MPH opened!!! Now it is good as new! He washed all walls, cupboards, AND all pots and pans before he put them back in and the top of the refrigerator without having to be told!! Miracles do happen in Congo!! He also thanked Ken and me for recommending him. I don’t know how he knew that- don’t tell me these workers don’t at least understand English! I told him thanks and that Ken and I had watched his work ethic when the French were here and his pleasant attitude and smile. So we had no problem recommending him! “Thank you , Mama!!”

So I will sign off for today. Hope y’all slept well. Have a great weekend! Did have a miracle at Possum Kingdom Lake! Clint went to check on our cars that have been parked in the RV bay and both started!! Yea!!

Love Ya! Me

No comments:

Post a Comment