Friday, September 27, 2013

55. FYI and/or My Ramblin's

FYI  and/or My Ramblin’s

MPH is a blessing in this huge town. It is a clean, affordable and safe place to stay for missionaries, church volunteer group and pastors. It has been a care giver from the early 1960’s- when it was a dorm home missionary kids attending TASOK across the street -to the use as MPH currently. Now it is going through slow but sure remodeling where it will be better able to serve its guest. All summer as folks have stayed here they have gotten to see the changes in the rooms and baths. So now with the kitchen renovations beginning this fall, MPH is on a roll. Some day, I bet all the dorm rooms will be turned into AC rooms with a private bath like downstairs! But not this week!! ;)

In the kitchen I showed the cooks how to keep cooking implements that are constantly used out in a crock and easily accessible. While in the US for two weeks, Inge is going to get magnetic strips or a knife block for knives so those too are easy to get to instead of in a drawer. I’ll bet the cooks walk miles a week getting to cooking items because of the “kitchen triangle” arrangement. Things are where drawers etc. are instead of near work and cooking areas. So the crocks help that. Think I told you I got them pastry cloths and rolling pin covers from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. So far they LOVE those. “It’s so easy to clean up when we make bread, Mama!” Yea!
Looks like the Texas granddaughters are all back into their fall routines of school- home and public, theatre, college choices, soccer and gymnastics. They will all be together for Clint’s ceremony this week so I hope for a picture or two from there. They have grown and changed so in five months!! All are in school now. Wow, time flies!

No fall nip in the air here and definitely no snow like our Montana (Hey guys, I’m still coming for that sleigh ride in the snow up there!) and Colorado friends are getting! I’m ready for some seasonal changes.  With a stop in Belgium on the way home- with only Congo type clothing- we may definitely feel a nip in the air!! Hard to believe Thanksgiving and Christmas time will almost be there when we get home to the US.

Mangoes are in! Cooks are making fresh mango sauce for supper. We are also having fresh avocadoes. With the mangoes etc. we need to get them using “free” food. MPH has all of these recipes that have not been used since the fruit was not in. Now for the next few months there is plenty of fresh stuff in the garden and off of our trees. I have found if I just ask almost any of the cooks- do you know how to make ___”Oui, Mama. We have the recipe.” But apparently it comes back to asking. One guest at lunch said she had never had mango sauce and she has lived in Congo for 10 years- said she did not know how to make it. I said it’s just like making apple sauce. “I don’t know how to do that either.” I asked if she’d asked her cook. No. Oh well! So it really doesn’t matter if I personally(I LOVE them!!!) don’t like mangoes etc., they are free and others at the table can eat them!. I did get the cooks not to put tomato sauce or paste or stewed tomatoes on almost every piece of meat that comes out of the kitchen.” Oui, Mama. Pas de tomate!” And they just laugh!!  Spaghetti, Sloppy Joes, BBQ Chicken, Chili and Chicken Cacciatore are supposed to have it. But not on all of the beef, pork and chicken!! Even so -don’t serve red sauce every lunch and/or night in a row!! I think they have it! They know how to make great pan gravy for pork, beef and chicken and skim off the fat. I asked Inge to get one of those fat skimmer measuring cup deals for the cooks so it will soon be easier for them! When one lives here or stays here long term the menus need to change from time to time. All I had to do was ask! One night I told them to do something different with the beef they had out.  When they asked what- I told them to surprise me! They loved the freedom to just cook. It was good. Mango Cobbler is next! Like peach Cobbler! Yum!! I may also get them to make something besides peanut butter cookies. There are other MPH Cookie recipes because I re-typed them for the cooks!! Oh well. Soon to be above my pay grade!! ;) They are good cooks and have been so patient with me! Bless their little hearts!!
One of our guests was too late for supper so she bought some native chow. We were all still sitting around visiting, so she came to eat her supper with us. This is her meal. So maybe I will eat fish heads! Yep! I agree! OMG!  Catipillars and "stuff" and bedia and greens.




















So that about does me in for the day! GAG!! Have a great weekend.
Love Ya! Me




No comments:

Post a Comment