Wednesday, October 16, 2013

73. Prayers From The Congo


Prayers FromThe Congo

Lenore Murray
October 2013

 If the animals of Congo could all offer a prayer

What would determine what each species would pray?

What would they say on this magical day?

Would they ask for a change in their lives full of strife?

Or would they be content that the Lord gave them life?

Would they pray as a group, by size or by might?

Would they pray in the heat or the cool of the night?

Their decision was made to pray as they felt.

No matter their strength, their size or color of pelt.

Each could complain or praise as they each chose.

And promises of no repercussions from the masses arose!

They met at the watering hole and all agreed to be

Peaceful beneath the shade of the spreading Flambeau tree.

Everyone thought it would be the Lion who’d begin

But the tiny little Dik-Dik lifted her chin.

I’d like to ask the Lord why He made me so small

And made “dik-dik-dik-dik” my personal warning call.

"I want to ask if He forgets about me as I try to stay alive

Hidden and safe from those alert amber eyes."

The Hippopotamus waddled up from the watering hole mud

And stood her ground as each foot made a thud.

"I’d like to ask the Lord why he made me so ugly.

Why nothing I wear fits me and I am all pudgy."

The Lion spoke up next and all looked to the king.

Surely he had no complaints to the Lord to bring.

"Lord, why did you think I a leader would make?

Is it only speed and a heart of courage it takes?

I’m tired of this job if that is the case.

Give it to another these daily challenges to face!"

The small, bright blue Kingfisher landed on a branch where all could see

“I’m not a very good prayer of prayers,” said she

"But I know the Lord gave me music to sing

To do it to my best is my thanks to Him I bring."

The Zebra pawed the grass to announce his turn

"I only yearn for a coat of one color instead of two!

These stripes are only good for a jail or a zoo.

What was He thinking when He made the Okapi and me

There’s nowhere to hide in this grassland of ours

So we are on the run most of each day’s hours."

The Monkey sprang down from a branch in the tree
"
With a face like this who will take me seriously?

Why, Oh Lord, did you make me so,” he asked with a frown?

About the only job I can get is that of a clown!"

The voice of the next speaker came from above

“I see the entire world from a different perspective – a view I love!"

The Giraffe acted all pious and felt she was “above” all but a few

She quickly pointed out that she and the Lord had the same view!

All took a step back as the next speaker arrived on the scene

What an Army Ant could do in just a few minutes was to pick any bone clean!

With a glare in his eyes the ant did say, “I thought we were not going to condemn  at this prayer meeting of ours.

“The Lord made me so after pondering my design for hours.”

I  do what the Lord designed me to do and manage my Army business quite well.

And if you don‘t like it you can all go to…"

In she flew with her tail of distinctive red feathers

And the African Gray Parrott perched on a branch worn smooth by the weather.

"You all do know I am not one to repeat what I hear

So you better listen carefully the first time I come near!

If the Lord didn’t want me to tell all I know

Don’t you think He would have surely told me so?"

"I can’t stay long," said the Butterfly. "I just want the Lord to know what a beautiful job He has done!

I have the scent of trees and flowers. I have the beautiful blue sky in which to flutter. It’s like a lottery won!

I can flitter and go to and fro and see the rest of you far below

Do you realize what blessed creatures we are from the word go?"

Up the Evil One crept from the water’s edge- all eyes watched and tried to show no fear

He slowly approached and gave his famous Crocodile smile as he got way to near.

“When I pray today ,’ he said, ”I will ask the Lord why he made me such a detested fellow.

I am what I am through no fault of my own but in misery I will not wallow.”

The ground began to tremble and the others tried to hide their great mirth.

In the Lady Elephant walked with dignity and grace in spite of her great girth.

Her prayer was one of supplication to be able to keep her positive behavior and attitude

In spite of the mean words she heard she rejoiced for her life with gratitude

The Bonobos came together to the gathering as a unique family of Chimps – no others like them anywhere.

The Lord had closed them in by Rivers and kept them safe right there.

“”No needs have we,” the female leader told all,” for our sanctuary the Lord did prepare.

So we are here just to say thanks

That the Lord keeps us safe along these Congo River banks.”

“ Wait, wait for me, I’m coming!”  Mrs. Turtle cried!  “It’s not fun or quick to move your home all the time.

What I want to ask for is other living arrangements. Lord, I don’t mean to whine,

But, did You really think my design through?

 I could have done so much better! Did You have a clue?

I mean, really. Never leave the house!? What’s a girl to do?"

The Leopard just sauntered through as a great “cat”. All knew she had that cat attitude and more.

She neither prayed nor said a thing, just did as she pleased. Licked her whiskers, left and told no one what was in store.

The last to speak was the African dove. The bird of peace with her soft songs to sing.

"We all have asked or told the Lord today. But Animals of Congo, for Him what did we bring?

Pause for a moment and think it all through

What all the Lord has done for each and every one of you."

 Amen and Amen

 
This poem was written after I read a tiny little book left in a Missionary home in Tshkaji years ago. Originally in French- and so much prettier in French- it was translated into English. It was written by a Sister from France and published in 1947. The name of the little book of poems is Prayers From the Ark by Carmen Bernoos De Gasztold.  As I read the book, the idea of a poem about the animals of Congo and their prayers began to form in my mind. Hope you enjoyed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment